Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Gospel glimpses

Remember when we were kids, and we couldn't wait for recess? We were desperate for freedom. We wanted out of the classroom and on the swings. When we were swinging, delight was written all over our faces. We felt like we were flying. We wanted to go as high as we could. Nothing could touch us.

But before we could swing by ourselves, we always had someone to push us - a mom, a dad, a sibling, a friend..... a nanny. I have a feeling you know where this is going :)
 

Swinging is one of Molli's favorite things. She is not able to swing by herself yet, so we spend some quality time together just about everyday. She swings. I push. This is always accompanied by our singing of "Old McDonald Had a Farm." For 30-45 minutes, I get an arm and vocal workout while Molli simply enjoys the freedom of a child. Just when I think there are no more animals, I'm surprised to find, according to Molli, that Old McDonald has white horses and brown horses and red snakes and green snakes. Who knew? I pray for unconditional love in serving this sweet child. I pray to be there with her in the moment. I pray for the delight she clearly has to fill my heart with joy. But honestly, I get distracted. I get tired. I wonder what Noah must have felt like when he got the measurements of the ark - are there really that many animals?

But the Lord humbled me with this reminder - He never tires of loving us or serving us or being with us. He never takes deep breaths to remember to be patient - He is patience. He never gets distracted from us - He has set His affection on us. He never hopes we get bored from enjoying the life and gifts He's given us - mainly Himself. There is fullness of joy in His presence. (Psalm 16:11) He delights in us. (Zephaniah 3:17) This time with Molli has become a picture of the gospel for me. He did all the work for us - as I do when I am pushing Molli; we simply get to enjoy Him and the freedom He's given us. I pray He gives you glimpses of the gospel in areas where you grow passive or tired or frustrated. Would He continue to renew our minds.



I loved this day! Taylor and Molli chasing and catching butterflies!

In other news..... BEN GOT A JOB!!! We are praising the Lord for His faithfulness and provision and grace and goodness. Thank you so much for praying! My prayer now is that he would know the Lord more through this season, become more like Him, honor Him in his job, and depend on Him for all his needs - strength, focus, wisdom, perseverance, grace, and love. 

The prayer of Colossians 1:9-12 has been on my heart lately. I would love if you let the Lord teach you through it as He has taught me!

3 comments:

  1. You are SUCH a good blogger! Loving these sweet lessons we learn from children. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so so humbled sp :) I learned from the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww Lala this speaks to me and reminds me of my spring and praying for strength to "be there in the moment..." Thanks for sharing, love you!

    ReplyDelete